Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Here's Looking At You Kids

So this will be my final post for Tune In and I wanted to reflect a little bit on the experience before I go. This project presented a creative challenge for me as writer; I wanted to have a purpose or message with each post but I also wanted you guys to enjoy reading each post. Balancing my desire to connect with young readers and my goal of promoting female empowerment was the most difficult and most enjoyable part of writing for Tune In.

What I Got Out of This...
  1. I learned that even though we see many problems with women in media right now, we are also seeing encouraging trends with women leaders in modern television and movies.
  2. I'm starting to see that people really like familiar stories... damsels in distress, white knights saving the day, tragic romances, and thrilling battles between good and evil. It's important to be aware of the roles that women play in these stories... we don't always want to be the damsels in distress. 
  3. It is important that we challenge the media to keep up with the progress we are making in the real world. If we want quality in our shows and movies, we have to call out the crappy shows and movies when we see them.


via google images

Hopefully this blog exposed you to a new perspective on women in the media, maybe it helped you form an opinion on how the media should represent women as leaders. More than that though, I hope that you enjoyed the Tune In experience as much as I did.

Thanks for reading!

---Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment