Sunday, February 9, 2014

Question of the week... How have women on TV changed in the last 50 years?


I'm sure that like me, most of you were not around in the 50's and 60's to watch shows like the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, or I Love Lucy. Props to anyone born after 1995 who even recognizes those shows. It is interesting though, looking back at the female characters in those shows and seeing how different they look from the women that I grew up watching on television. I grew up with professional, ambitious, successful women on TV but I didn’t really appreciate how far we had come until I saw some of the old reruns from the 60’s. To give you guys an idea of just how differently the media portrays women today, I thought I'd do a match up between 4 modern TV characters and 4 pre-1970 TV characters. 

Round 1...
Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie       vs.    Dr. Temperance Brennan from Bones   
 










Round 2…
Samantha from Bewitched        vs.         Alicia Florrick Attorney at Law from Good Wife
 












Round 3…
Carol Brady from The Brady Bunch     vs.     Dr. Meredith Grey from Grey’s Anatomy
 














Round 4... 
Lucy from I Love Lucy                                          vs.                    Olivia Pope from Scandal

                             













--- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment